Bolt vs Roam

I am in the market for a new bike computer. I’ve done my research, read a bunch of reviews (DCRainmaker, GP Llama, etc.) and am deciding between the Wahoo Bolt and Roam.

But I wanted to see what others real world experiences have been, especially if in hindsight you would’ve made a different choice:

• I have a Roam - but Bolt would have been OK.
  • I have the Roam and it’s what I need
  • I have the Bolt - but the Roam was what I should’ve bought
  • I have the Bolt and it’s all I need

0 voters

hey @Erik-KOS … My recommendation would change, depending on what your requirements are? Just want training and riding stats or navigation is important?

Navigation is where the units are separated (aesthetics of a colour screen aside).

Unless you are really interested in discovering new routes and working from the device rather than the phone app then I do no see much benefit in the roam. Equally if you are seeking superior navigation … I think you should look at competitor units (garmin, hammerhead)

1 Like

@Joe good question. I typically ride my own routes and plan ahead, but occasionally I (used to - pre-COVID) cut a group ride short and head home, some times with detours, not the best route. If there is a way to create a route on the spot, on a phone and then sync that to the bolt, then the Bolt is prob sufficient.

But what about the size/color display? Does that matter. Currently have a garmin520, which works fine both for navigation and size. The color map does help, though.

Mostly trying to figure out if anybody regrets their choice in hindsight …

Overall very happy with my Roam.

Chose it over the Bolt because of the screen being bigger & colour. Colour screen is nice on the map and useful with the Varia (the stripe is green prange or red). Usually I’m riding routes that were pre-planned using Komoot so no real advantage there. A couple of times I’ve come across unexpected road closures and found the on-the fly auto-rerouting on the Roam useful. Not sure if the Bolt does that?

Have to say my Roam has a habit of dropping the GPS signal under light tree cover which is less than impressive - don’t recall my old Garmin Etrex ever doing that.

If I was buying again now I would definately look at the Hammerhead but my feeeling is I would still settle on the Roam because I find the display very easy to read in any and all lighting conditions. I also like the way you can “zoom” on data screens to see more or less fields (can’t remember what the feature is called), but perhaps Garmin & Hammerhead have that too?

For me the Bolt fits everything I need … training and navigation (albeit not that intense). It has served me well across continental Europe for routes.

Screen Size and Colour does not bother me much. But I think this is very much personal … if you want it go for it :slight_smile:

Direct response to your question … I do not regret my choice for the bolt.

I decided against the color display back when I made my choice. Went for the Bolt.
If I had to choose now, I’d upgrade to the Roam just because I like new shiny things. The Bolt performs perfectly.
Aside from the display, the only feature I find noteworthy on the Roam, is the automatic rerouting, but even then, I would’ve only made use of it once or twice over the timespan that I’ve used my Bolt (~2 years).
Conclusion: Bolt is king, Roam is a sweet 2nd.

1 Like

Another Bolt user here.
I use it for navigation on almost every ride I do and it works perfectly for my needs. I tend to plan my routes well in advance, though and haven’t ever really needed re-routing, plus I often know the areas to figure out my own route if a road is blocked off, I just use the navigation to keep me on the track I decided on for the day.

It’s super simple to design your own page layouts to get the data you want laid out the way you want, the buttons are easy to find and use, even in thick winter gloves and the screen is always visible whether it’s bright, direct sunlight or getting dark.

For me it’s everything I need in a bike computer, very happy with it.

1 Like

Thanks all, this has been super helpful.

1 Like