From The Coaches: The Importance of Recovery & Rest

Hey @EJJensen,
Congratulations on your improvement on your 20 min max!
Distinguishing form from fatigue can be determined by subjective and objective measures outlined in the article. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Does RPE ( rate of perceived exertion) reflect the training zone (heart rate or power)?
  2. What is the trend on morning resting heart rate or hrv?
  3. Are training power targets being consistently attained?
  4. What is the level of enthusiasm for training?

If you listen to your body’s signals, you’ll be golden. Realize oftentimes less is more. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

@Coach.Spencer.R Hey Spencer! thanks a lot for bringing this up. I believe we, in general, are not well educated on the importance of rest, and tend to think that the more you push, the better. You guys are the experts, but this fact is quite misunderstood all around

I’ll keep an eye out to pick up a few tips along the way! :v:t5:

3 Likes

I can totally relate to this. This week I promised myself a recovery week and yet again, by Wednesday, with legs feeling fresh, I pushed harder and harder on what should have been an easy ride.

3 Likes

This article is food for thought. I’m halfway through week 3 of a month FTP builder block. I’ve been struggling mentally with focus and a heart rate that quickly rises (we’re talking up to 184 for a 44 yo woman🤦‍♀️ Well out of the Zones suggested by Sufferfest). Earlier in the year after the ToS I burnt out for a couple of weeks and my FTP and numbers have never recovered since… My BF thinks I’ve been overtraining but on a recovery week I get bored with the lower targets after a couple of days and bypass them. It sounds like I’m setting myself up for failure!!

3 Likes

Hey @Niaomi,
It’s very difficult to be your own coach and probably more difficult to listen to advice from your significant other. Just ask my wife, Stephanie :smiley:. Utilizing objective and subjective measurements outlined in the article can help reinforce your choice whether to rest or not. I like to use my dogs (5 of them) as my role models. When the play , they go all out . But when it’s recovery time , they are all stars!

8 Likes

One of my main “tells” is when I suddenly start having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, despite being very tired.

This doesn’t always happen–recently i just got super fatigued and hit a wall WITHOUT having that happen–but whenever it does happen, it’s consistently a good sign that it’s time for a rest.

3 Likes

Hi, I have tendency to over do it in training with too many HIIT sessions in a week. Im sure I miss out on some gains as a result And will change habits.
What I notice is that rather than having a lower HR when in a run down state, mine will be elevated about 5-10bpm above normal for a poor workout. Is that also a sign of over training?

2 Likes

Hey @Tony,
A higher than normal HR for a given workout can definitely be a sign of insufficient recovery.

4 Likes

Quick one re this particular thing - 184 doesn’t sound ‘unusual’ … we all have hugely varying max HR’s - how does 184 relate to to your max (if you’ve tested to max before?). If you’re literally at “can’t turn the pedals any more” max aerobic effort during Nine Hammers, you’ll be heading towards Max (all other things being equal). Sometimes your HR can be lower if overtrained as well, and you just can’t get everything going - your ‘engine’ has become ‘tired’ by that stage

1 Like

184 is pretty much my max, at that point I’m struggling to breathe hence my concern! Interesting that HR can be lower if overtraining, I’ve not heard of that.

1 Like

I was gonna ask something similar. Good question. I put an hour long easy spin at 1/2 FTP after GOAT and feel great!

1 Like

This may seem a little off target. But it’s a good example of how the stressors of life can effect you. I decided to make a major adjustment to my sugar intake. About a week into my changes I had 4 days in a row where my HRV4 scores were in the yellow. I finally figured it out. I was going through withdrawal.

4 Likes

Rob,
just wrapped up the 2013 ToS on Sunday. Total success! I was at full “Nuclear Option” less stage 4 (90% 4 DP) and “Long Scream” (80%) at the end of stage 6. This is the second time being smart about my endurance events (1st was this year ToS) and it worked. Pumped right now and actively recovering. I’m planning my recovery and doing the 2014 ToS in early August. This is way better than just beating myself up and hammering it all the way till failure :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

@SirShrek,
Nicely done! I have fond memories of the very first ToS. Enjoy the ToS 2014! Keep us posted on your activities.

Cheers

2 Likes

Niaomi,
Without knowing your position on your bike…that can be a culprit. When I going all in on the App (less a sprint), I make sure my posture allows max air intake for the Supercharger.

1 Like

Thank you @SirShrek I’ll bear that in mind. I have noticed that posture makes a difference

3 Likes