FTP Progressions

There are 3 no-vid sessions called FTP Progressions. Obviously, one starts with the first, but when would I move up to the second one? After one session, after a week of training? Sorry if I missed the guidance when these were released.

Background: I am thinking of incorporating some no-vid workouts into my outdoor rides. Planning on mixing it up with some of other no-vids (40/20s) over-unders, FTP map builds. Just want to add some structure to my mornings while it is too hot in the pain cave…

1 Like

I did them as part of the FTP block plan and it was one each Tuesday. Tough but good workouts!

4 Likes

Here is the guidance from when we released the FTP Progressions:

You should be getting comfortable with your fresh power numbers from your recent Full Frontal test and feel like you’re gaining strength and fitness from completing the first FTP Progression workout a few times. Version 2 has added one minute to the FTP intervals and removed a minute from the recovery sections, getting you closer to that final version of 5 x 8 min efforts with only 2 minutes recovery in between.

Say you want to incorporate his once or twice a week, I would stick with the same version for 3-4weeks before progressing to you next one. So if you were on a 12 week training block you would have:

• Start: FF and new 4DP numbers
  • Weeks 1-4: FTP Progression 1: 5x6
  • Weeks 5-8: FTP Progression 2: 5x7
  • Weeks 9-12: FTP Progression 3: 5x8
  • FF test

Please note there would be recovery weeks within this also.

4 Likes

@Coach.Rupert.H does this advice go against what’s in the building block plans then as in there it progresses through all three with one a week over three weeks.

Or have I missed the intended timing of when to do the blocks? i.e. are the building blocks only intended once you’ve fully adjusted to your existing FTP number?

Cheers

1 Like

Hey Lee,

There is never a one size fits all solution when it comes to fitness and training. I was basing the example on a 12 week plan and working with progressive overload to increase the intensity of the workouts as the plan progressed and you get fitter.

In a 3-4 week focused block, there is much less time so working through the progressions do happen more quickly. Here is our guidance on HOW TO USE THE BUILDING BLOCKS and you can see there are different reasons for applying plans at different times.

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perfect, cheers!! I really liked the 4 week FTP block and those FTP Progressions in particular seemed like great workouts. As a series it’s good as mentally you can tell yourself it’s just another minute to what I did (ignoring the fact you do that extra minute five times and get less rest :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I am currently on week 3 of the FTP building block, made it through the FTP progression series. It was hard and each week after doing one I didn’t think I would make it through next week with another minute of effort and less recovery!

I think most of the issue for me is the mental aspect as there is nothing to focus on in the interval being no vid and no changes of intensity or cadence. The third one in the series this week gave me my highest hour wattage on the app.

As @aerobrain said I am really enjoying the building block too!

3 Likes