GCN Videos -- hidden gems?

As more and more Sufferlandrians ‘discover’ the GCN videos in the app, they’re realising that there are some seriously good workouts in there. Have you given them a go? My personal favourite is the Equalizer workout. No surprise, really, as the workout is designed by Sir @Coach.Neal.H – but I also really enjoy the break from the regular SUF format and being ‘part’ of the class.

I find that the Escalator session is as mentally tough as Defender for me (hate sustained efforts. really. I do.) The Muscular Endurance Interval session is also pretty brutal!

7 Likes

I agree. I think they are hidden gems. And can be nicely brutal! I took a break from the regular SUF format earlier this year and found myself repeating a few of them like GCN Endurance Ride, and GCN Strength Endurance when I was short on time! I’m glad they are part of the mix.

2 Likes

I use Ready Steady Go before most workouts now. Good lead in for VO2 ones and such like

2 Likes

Ah, I need to give that a go before some of the harder sessions. Finding I need a longer warm up these days.

1 Like

Another good surprise was minimum Time Maximal Efforts.

1 Like

Let us know how you get on. Igniter is too much but this feels like the ‘right’ warm up.
I use it for FF, NH, even things like Power Station and such like. Then I wait 5 minutes or maybe longer, Grab a little fuel and go. Prob now my most ridden workout already !!

1 Like

I also enjoy the GCN workout videos (I’m a fan of their YouTube channel as well). It would be good to see more collaboration of this kind.

Btw - are there any training plans which incorporate the GCN vids?

2 Likes

Escalator is one of my favourites. Plus the one with the two 12 minute blocks with 2*5mins at low cadence, Muscular Endurance I think.

I was sceptical about them at first but they’ve definitely filled in some gaps! Great addition

3 Likes

The other one I like is the one where you do 2x20 at FTP … :slight_smile: well ok, those numbers have been reduced a bit, but I still like it a lot.

1 Like

Wow, so much love for these vids. I think I have to try a few of them. I’m interested now.

So far they just never came up in my calendar (I use triathlon plans).
Well, once - I did GCN Stength Endurance but didn’t give it much thought or attention.

1 Like

I rode GCN Ready, Steady, Go before doing a harder session and that really, really worked well. Think I’ll incorporate that from now on when I’ve got the time.

2 Likes

I tried the same before “Told off by Angels” and it helped quite a bit.

2 Likes

I did GCN Strength Endurance today. Doubt I’ll be doing that one again, didn’t feel it required much of either strength or endurance (of the physical kind anyway). The Ready Steady Go, Equalizer and Escalator workouts are all worthy of the full SUF A/V experience if you ask me. Any chance of that happening or are they lost to the GCN format forever?

Looks like there are seven that I still haven’t done. Maybe I’ll knock those out as part of a random “GCNhood”, get them all done in a day :badger: (checks stats => not even that, less than a third of a day)

1 Like

Quick update to my SUFpickr “app” to allow a playlist of 11 (slightly broke the UI but hey ho) and repeated clicking of the randomize button until Ready, Steady, Go came in at #1 and, well, there’s a thing.

Sorry, pretend you didn’t see this, not a thing. I don’t think so. No no no. Never. Nein. Not a chance. No way. No. Although… :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

SUFPICKR… I dig it. :slight_smile:
Seems like you got yourself a pretty neat tool there.

Your playlist seems like a nice workout during my kos-prep plan. I saved a screenshot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to use a physical pot of random Suffering but apparently even old school can be app’d these days :grin: (sorry, off topic…)

5 Likes

Yaay :slight_smile: Result !!

1 Like

me likey! Can you share this? Opensource this perhaps?

3 Likes

I find the GCN videos OK, I prefer SUF, but GCN ones definitely add a little something. I find they’re pretty good to add after other SUF sessions if you want a longer session. I know some seem to say they’re pointless but I think they’re just another addition to the overall SUF package.

I often do more than 1 SUF session so I too would be interested in being able to make a playlist where it just does it automatically, but it’s not the end of the world if I can’t have that feature.

2 Likes

some of the workouts as such are pretty cool, but the videos… omg! two riders sitting on their bikes literally chewing your ears off. only way I can bear them is with a YouTube video and some music from my favourite playlist

1 Like