How to fit in Strength training with building blocks

I started base building blocks this week because I’m trying to get back to suffering slowly. I will continue with Tempo block after this 3 weeks block is over.
I’m wondering how can I fit in some strength/lifting sessions. The plan has me doing rides 5 days/week and two total rest days. Should I just pick a random day ? should I do it before or after the ride?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Ibrahim_F,

That’s a great question, since the building block plans don’t have strength integrated options. Luckily, though, we have strength training plans available to add under the Cross-Training tab. The strength sessions are scheduled for Tuesdays and Fridays, and should be done on the same day as either a recovery spin or endurance ride, or an NM focused cycling session. Looking at the Tempo Block plan, there are endurance sessions (SUF videos at reduced intensities) on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but no NM sessions. So I’d recommend adding the strength training plan to your calendar, but schedule it to start one day later than the default, which will shift them to Wed & Sat to line up with the lower intensity cycling sessions.
When pairing a strength and endurance ride on the same day, it’ preferable to do strength first while you’re fresh and use the ride as a flush for the system. Especially if you’re new to strength training or haven’t done any in a while, you just keep the potential for injury lower and flushing the legs with riding will help speed recovery as well. And don’t be afraid to reduce intensity a bit more on those rides if your legs are really tired.
That way, you’ll still get your rest days and maintain an appropriate workload of strength + cycling without over-doing it. But as always, if you feel that doing both is too much, then listen to your body and skip one or the other, or take an extra rest day if you feel it necessary.
Best of luck, and please report back on your progress!

4 Likes

Thank you @Coach.Suzie.S

1 Like