I LOVE the 4DP

Of course I don’t, I’m not GvA. But I did just complete it (for the 5th time since starting with Sufferfest in December) and had my most satisfying results yet. Not actually my best in all categories, but an improvement in each from my last test and the most exhilarating/exhausting. Plus, I wanted to provide some counterbalance to the ‘I hate the 4DP’ post :slight_smile:

In terms of technical tips, this guidance by @JSampson is the best I’ve seen. But I knew going into this again that my biggest hurdle is the psychological side, especially for the 20-min test, so I thought I’d share some of the things that worked for me today (your mileage may vary).

Psychologically:

• Setting my 4DP targets 5% higher than I trained at – even in level mode, this gave me a number to look at and aim for that I knew was an improvement (FTP ended up being 10% higher!)
  • listening to ‘Kicking Ass in Your Sleep II’ the night before and ‘Preparing to Shred Chamois’ right before
  • on the FTP segment, giving myself leeway in the 2nd half to drop power (10-15%) and raise cadence (from 90-95 to 100-105) for up to a minute at a time to change up the pressure on my muscles and my psyche.

Possibly most important:

• Queuing up GIN BLOSSOMS’ ‘HEY JEALOUSY’ at key moments. Again and again.

Physically:

• being in the ovulatory phase of my menstrual cycle (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! to people who menstruate)

Hope that helps somebody, and Happy Testing! (PS if anyone has fool proof tips on how to actually set up for the NM sprints, I cannot seem to get that right!)

11 Likes

@rinaf Congrats on smashing it! FYI the notes my post came from watching the 4DP video and also this Breakfast from Boz podcast:

4DP Testing - Breakfast with Boz

I recommend keeping your notes from today’s test handy for next time you are scheduled to do it. It really helps to have a solid plan of attack for the test and continue to refine your approach to suit what works best for you.

4 Likes

@rinaf Also check out this post from Coach Mac from last week. He asks that you note in the post-workout notes section whether your workouts in the week after the test are too hard / too easy. They are constantly working on refining the testing. Time for Nine Hammers!

2 Likes

thanks … or no thanks at all! :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I actually anticipate taking a new FF test. Why in the world would I do so? Because it’s exciting to see how much my training is paying off. There is of course the dreaded one, after the holidays when I’ve been vacationing in Couchlandria.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this! After seeing so many posts about fearing/dreading/hating FF I thought I was doing something wrong because I have never felt that way about it. FF is a challenging workout that gives me some benchmarks to improve in.

8 Likes