Nit-Picks and Typos

Reply deleted in an attempt to make it to day 1 :wink:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Love this!

I’m making way through the library and auditing as much of these errors as I can find. I’m bound to miss a few, so it always helps when the community has your back.

At the moment I’m about 25% of the way through the catalogue and have, for the most part, only tagged & flagged the errors (and not corrected them). Rest assured everything y’all post here will be addressed.

FWIW, most narrative errors are an easy fix (because they ‘live’ in a file separate to the video), but video errors are harder/take more resources to fix. That said, please post all typos, missing/extraneous bits, off-colour language/imagery (sexist, bullying, shaming) and any suggestions to improve narratives/coaching tips to this thread.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve flagged a few of these myself. Not a fan of the nature break, are ya?

1 Like

@dylan.robbins – can you have a peak at our Spanish interpretations and compare notes with Sir Renzo here?

2 Likes

On some of the later intermediate Strength videos, for instance in Intermediate 5A, the voice says to use one leg while the video text/demo uses the other.

4 Likes

Elements of Style solves that by reversing the image of the cyclist - most disconcerting to have the chainset on the left of the bike…

5 Likes

I can confirm sir Renzo’s contribution, although “zurra” is a more local word. I think “paliza” is more spanish universal.

3 Likes

I’m find with footage of the nature break from behind. When it’s from the front, not so much.

1 Like

One thing that gets me is the improper use of “a” vs. “an”. Even in the rider types in the app I believe the text is “You are a attacker”. At least I remember seeing that when that was my rider type. There are lots of these throughout the video text too. Thanks for taking this on, BTW. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a LONG time.

1 Like

While this is certainly a valid nit-pick, it is also very general. It would be most helpful to the minions if you could please document specific instances when you come across them, and post it to this thread.

@gpsjared is only one person, trying to QC an enormous volume of media. Let’s help him out!

3 Likes

Everything @Sir_Clayton said - it’s the same at work here … sometimes people jump about us picking up on spelling stuff, but when I explain the credibility impact it can have with a reader … and that the person you’re about to talk to is starting to ‘see’ errors and so on, people usually get it. Perfection in all aspects of the product will def lead to a more engaged (and likely bigger) customer base

2 Likes

Absolutely! I will put a notepad next to keyboard and try to capture all the typos and stuff I see while suffering. It may take a while though since I’m mostly riding outside since the weather is fantastic now. I pointed out the rider type thing because that’s not even in a video.

3 Likes

Thank you guys, seriously! It’s really empowering to be in a position to execute changes directly, whereas in the bad ol’ days I’d have to markup a PDF so that a designer could fix typos, mispellings, random words etc.

I’m trying to confirm all changes I have made, but I can’t reply three times in a row in this thread without the spam filter thinking I’m a bot.

Anyhoo, I might have some interesting stats to share with you all once this audit is complete :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

cc @Martin @Sir_Clayton @Juanale81 @Sir_RobW @Renzo @JamesT

9 Likes

@Renzo @Juanale81 we’re keen to work with you both to come to a consensus on this. On our end, we’d like for the translation to retain the terse/succinct/Laconic/tongue-in-cheek tone of voice associated with The Sufferfest, while also making it as universal as necessary (“zurra” for example).

I appreciate you both offering your help. If there are any other Spanish speakers out there, feel free to get involved :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello, Sir @gpsjared and @Juanale81.

I agree with Juan on Zurra not being as widely used. It’s not that common in Honduras, at least.

I think it’s very common in Honduras and Latin America for people to use “go” in the future tense instead of the verb’s future tense, so here are two options.

The most correct one, in my opinion, would be “Me daré una paliza hoy para darte una golpiza mañana.”

According to how we normally build sentences, that could also be written as “Me voy a dar una paliza hoy para darte una golpiza mañana.”

I’m sort of afraid to suggest a more literal translation with “swear jar” language :stuck_out_tongue:. I don’t think there’s a standard enough expression to easily convey the tongue-in-cheek tone in all the variations that Spanish uses.

What do you think, @Juanale81?

2 Likes

Agree!

3 Likes

The Way Out
Typo at 16 minutes 3 sec
“astroid” should be asteroid.

4 Likes

Keep these coming, I’ll keep fixing them.

:ballot_box_with_check: GAWI’s translation fixed
:ballot_box_with_check: TWO’s typo (astroid -> asteroid)

cc @Juanale81 @Renzo

[Edit] These changes may take a few minutes to sync to your app, but if you reload the video stream, the changes should appear by the time you read this

10 Likes

Getting Away with It. ‘Culture info’ at 31:30 mentions ‘Marmotte’ with unnecessary capitalization and French spelling.

I was going to nitpick about the horrid use of ‘different than’ early in the Open 120 etc vids but an internet search has enlightened me on the acceptability if the term in American English. :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes