Outdoor workouts + Sufferfest + Wahoo Bolt

I’ve seen several multiple year old threads about this – I just want to mash a button, and take my exercise outdoors.

Instead I get this hard to read prescription, that I … have to punch into yet another app (Training peaks) to then sync it to my device

Is that still the case in 2021?

1 Like

Yup. Even in 2021.

1 Like

I transcribe the workouts in Training Peaks workout builder function by watching the SUF video and writing down the changes in power/cadence etc. This works well for the videos that are mostly endurance or have longer intervals. Yes it can be tedious with the videos that have lots of short intervals but once you have done this you have them forever in TP (unless you delete them of course).

1 Like

If you only have the free version of TP I believe you do not have the option to save workouts, which means you have to create the workout from scratch every time. Which is beyond tedious.

1 Like

thanks for the replies all. I’m a developer, this is fucking ridiculous. I’ll start poking at it this weekend. Whatever I do, i’ll release for free. I just want to copy and paste the shit it tells you to do and send it to my device.

Let’s see how hard this is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

and while i’m here: it’s also ridiculous y’all don’t have an android app. it’s 2021. there are tons of tools that help you develop one codebase and release on multiple platforms. Spend some of the money I’m paying you on an app developer.

Following @flowardnut1 for updates.

You have the option in Discord to Watch a certain topic (aside from other options). Have a look below the share/bookmark/flag/reply buttons.
I’ve done the same, since I’m very interested in seeing the results from @flowardnut1 's work.

@flowardnut1 This would be uber-cool !!!

@flowardnut1 I’ve looked at this before, and unfortunately https://developers.wahooligan.com/ is pretty bare :frowning: and I think that’s the biggest missing link right now. Sufferfest could certainly make it easier to export their outdoor workouts in standard formats, but it’s not too hard to edit them by hand and I doubt it would be that difficult to automate the transformation either.

But as far as “how to get a workout to the Bolt” either via a custom app (annoying to maintain, and can the APIs they do expose even do that?) or a custom third party sync (less annoying, but totally undocumented!), I suspect the best we can do is drop their development team a line.

1 Like

I’d love to be able to sync it to my Bolt without having to create it in TP first.

I dropped the Wahoo Dev team a direct email, but I suspect that any real efforts will need to wait for their Cloud API to go live.

Got a response back and the suggestion was that currently there are really only three ways to deliver workout files to a Wahoo Bolt:

• Training Peaks
  • Today’s Plan
  • direct USB transfer

Not being particularly interested in paying for another service, I started exploring the latter choice. It turns out the .plan format for Wahoo has been deciphered: Wahoo Elemnt - Tips, tricks and custom images · GitHub and there is a converter from MRC format: GitHub - ManuelWiese/mrc_tools: Tools to convert mrc workout files.

I don’t think automatic syncing is in the cards until Sufferfest exposes an API and Wahoo exposes an API, or they solve the integration internally. However, it’s very doable to build a small service that would allow people to copy the text over from the listed outdoor workout and produce a file suitable for direct transfer via USB.

2 Likes

Nice work @frenata ! It certainly would be nice to be able to transfer the workouts to the calendar in WK05 and/or Training Peaks.