Sticking to the plan outdoor; hills and flat

Apologies in advance, I’m sure this was asked before but could not find the answer in my research.
I’m trying to comply as much as I can to my plan.
While working on it inside is reasonably easy and clear, when it comes to the weekend rides I find it very difficult.
My question is:
I live in an area of Ireland where there is no flat.
It either goes up or down and change very often. I’m talking every few meters in some cases.Imagine a BMX track…
This is demolishing my legs.
But the question is:
The available terrain makes it difficult to stick to the desired intensity, should I put in place other measures ? if the plan says easy or hard should I just stick to the plan regardless of the terrain ?

It is a convoluted start, I hope you get my point.

Thanks

1 Like

@Enrico Maybe stick to indoor videos for the less intense workouts. There are a few open videos that you could use depending on the length of the ride and you could choose your own music and/or video. For more intense workouts it seems like your local terrain will work well.

1 Like

Lower gears are the answer I use my MTB for recovery rides on the road with a 30T chainring and 11-42 cassette I can still ride uphill in Z1 or low Z2 if its steep.

4 Likes

Hey @Enrico, This is a pretty common issue for a lot of folks that have “lumpy” terrain. There are a few ways to approach this. First of all, you will never have as much control of your workout variables outside as you do inside and that is ok. A few suggestions: With outdoor workouts focus on the “spirit” of the workout (the overall objective) and come as close as you can. If the desired workout is “X” minutes at MAP or FTP, then a few seconds either way won’t be a problem. Some variability on the efforts and recovery is fine and often beneficial. If the issue is not being able to go easy enough, because you don’t have the gearing to back off, then you may want to follow @JSampson 's recommendation and do the “easy” work indoors or get more gears. However, I believe that having the ability to back off on the hill’s and keep pressure on the pedals on the downs is a very important skill. But a BMX track may not be the best place to do that. I hope this helps a bit. Good Luck!

3 Likes

Thanks Coach Jeff.