The 9th Hammer -- Too much? Just right?

Did it today after doing GCN Aerobic Endurance yesterday … what a battle!

I also cam here trying to see if anyone else found it challenging (naïve me) as I had completed it once before (now I realize probably with low FTP value) and today I had to stop and start multiple times through hammers 5-6 and 8-9.

Great to see that with the correct numbers, cracking you is exactly the objective hahaha

1 Like

Just for kicks, take it outside…

1 Like

That is a pretty tough workout in its own right! Doable, but leaves me pretty knackered afterward. I certainly wouldn’t fancy my chances with 9H the next day! For me 9H requires very fresh legs to have a hope of getting through to the end. Last time I got as far as the 5th hammer at 100% and then had to back off to 90% for the rest, finally dying on the final ramp of the 9th!

I don’t think I’ve every even made it to the 9th hammer without having already broken well before (except for my KOS because that was reduced to 80%), but then again, I don’t think I’ve ever done 9H on fresh legs. I also can’t remember the last time I felt I had fresh legs. Maybe last August? :thinking:

1 Like

It was part of the Montaneous Granfondo plan so not a choice haha :grinning:

I have a firm belief that the relationship issues start all the way back at hammer 3.

1 Like

I finished the four week Map block mid week, But with unfinished business… NH was in the plan and I flatted after the second hammer. It was a bit crushing because I was feeling invincible that day.
So I decided to do NH to celebrate finishing the plan.
Drank too much coffee *cough *I mean, I caffeine loaded an hour beforehand, mixed myself some beetroot powder and water, and talked myself through NH with a very delusional positive combo mantra of “I can do this all night” and “you will finish all nine hammers”
I really focused on keeping my breathing as steady and smooth as possible and tried to remember to relax my fingers and shoulders to not waste energy… And each recovery I sipped some beetroot juice and pretended I was not in the valley of nine hammers… I was just about to start another workout.
And for the first time ever, I hit all the targets all the way through nine hammers.
I also hit a new max heart rate of 191 bpm and got very lightheaded right on the last 30 seconds of 9.but I finished the sucker. And didn’t pass out… Honour. Glory. Victory.
I feel like I’ve just done the 4DP.brutal! Perfect workout. Thanks GvA👌

8 Likes

Time for a 4DP re-test!

1 Like

I just did the same plan as you! Again I stalled on Hammer 5 and never really recovered from there. I managed Hammer 7 (the last threshold interval) but MAP intervals 6,8 & 9 totally crushed me after the first minute. Pretty much par for the course for me, especially following the GCN Aerobic Endurance the day before.

1 Like

[quote=“Peteski, post:189, topic:68”]
GCN Aerobic Endurance
[/quote] the day before!

Ouch! I deliberately waited four days after my last workout to attempt NH. Brave soul!

And yes, I knew the retest comment would come from someone :rofl:

1 Like

@Isa Awesome - get ready to test again! I like your idea of a mental reset between hammers - it is great to just reboot your brain and think about what is in front of you.

2 Likes

I’m thinking a retest will wait for when I can comfortably get out of chairs and walk up stairs again…

2 Likes

This week my workout plan called for NH on Monday and Who Dares on Tuesday - recovery week and half Monty last week. NH was the usual struggle, but I hit all my targets until an ugly fade in the last 15 seconds of the 9th hammer. I was not looking forward to Who Dares, but I felt great and was on or above all the targets on Tuesday. Coaches, Sufferlandrians, any thoughts? Is that normal or did I just have a good day?

1 Like

When did you last hit a power test?

My belief is that if you can get really, really, really close (so probably 15 seconds!) to completing the 8th and 9th hammers at target, you’re due a power test as your figures need to go up!

I had just done the Half Monty with practically no change in MAP (+4 watts) and FTP (-2 watts). The ease of Who Dares the next day is what surprised me.