For a few weeks I was trying to come up with a concept for a possible SUF companion app or something similar. Most of the ideas I thought of didn’t provide any useful and userfriendly benefit at first.
Then it hit me: What I really want is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Roam SUF EDITION.
I want to mount the head unit on my indoor bike, connect it to The Sufferfest workouts and use it to display most/or even all the information from my monitor.
I realize I can already let the device read my power/cadence in passive mode and display it during the workout, but I am dreaming of a more integrated approach.
An absolute killer feature — in my book — would be to be able to display all the info from then workout video. Speed, heart rate, power, cadence, rpe plus all targets (-zones) and even the time together with the workout graph (FTP, MAP, etc.).
Additionally, if I go over or below targets, the data field should turn red, similar as the on-screen numbers right now.
With a few tweaks the display on these devices should be powerful enough to show the workout graph - and if not, there is always the next iteration of head units coming.
There are plenty of benefits to this idea and I am sure I can come up with even more creative ways to use the devices functionality:
- Cleaner Interface: TV with an undisturbed view of the cycling footage.
- Info where I need it: Allows for a more comfortable neck position when concentrating on the numbers/easier view. Looking at my stem and simultaneously monitoring my “numbers”.
- Easier Adjustment: Use the head unit buttons to change level modes and/or intensity.
- No missed Text: Maybe use the lights on the device when I need to look up/important on screen text is coming up. Heck, maybe even displaying the text on the device?
- All in one place: Indoor and outdoor workouts in one device and right at your fingertips.
Especially now that Wahoo and SUF are married, this kind of functionality makes sense and delivers a more wholesome experience. At the same time it will probably sell a few more devices - I know I would immediately buy one.
What do you guys think about this idea?
It’s more a feature request for the Wahoo Elemnt team than for SUF, I guess.
Come on team Please give me a reason to buy a new toy. It would look nice mounted on my Kickr Bike. Otherwise I can’t justify to get one - seeing as my only outdoor riding consists of 15 minute commutes.