When you’re crushed mid video.... pause or lower intensity?

It happens to the best of us, especially with new numbers (and possibly 9 Hammers or ISLAGIATT to name a few… ). Do you pause for 5-10 seconds to slightly recover and continue at 100%, or lower intensity?

Cheers. Stay safe!

3 Likes

If I completely die during an effort and get bogged down in erg mode, I use the keyboard to turn erg off and go into level mode to either get my legs back up to speed or take a break and then turn erg mode back on as soon as I can… then after the workout is done I report to flogging station 6. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, ERG mode has no sympathy. I also flip on level mode occasionally.

2 Likes

I just easy spin and lower my intensity. Not that it is very much in the first place, but that makes it bearable for me.

1 Like

Personally I never pause the workout. Doesn’t mean I don’t pause my legs!

If you’ve not seen it there’s advise from the coaches on this topic here
https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-workout
and here

4 Likes

It depends on how I feel. If I feel that the power in the legs is good but I’m feeling best because the workout is REALLY tough I will pause for a while and get going again if it’s something like 9 Hammers. If it’s something endurance based like HHNF I will reduce intensity but try to keep going.

If I am having a very bad day and feel dreadful I will often call it a day. I figure I’m too tired to get close to the targets and so by punishing my body more than I will increase fatigue and I still won’t be training in the right zones to get the benefit of the workout. There’s a difference between feeling a bit tired and pushing through and feeling absolutely beat and needlessly pushing on in my opinion.

ISLAGIATT? I LOVE ISLAGIATT! I’ve never failed at it yet… But endurance is my strong point :slight_smile: it’s everything else I’m rubbish at!

4 Likes

I usually pause or stop pedalling so that the video stops in ERG mode. I normally suck it up during the “effort segments” and stop during the “rest periods”

2 Likes

I normally pause (though for slightly longer than 5-10secs). If I’m finding that I’m pausing too often, then I start lowering the intensity. If that still doesn’t work, then I’d call it day.

2 Likes

Jings. Don’t think I’ve ever succeeded at any of the videos of any length like that. Good job (endurance is mine too amusingly)

I did that today. Just when I decided I could not pedal at 100 any more, I was told to pedal at 110. So thoughtful , when it dropped back down to 100 it did not seem so bad after all.As for GVA and his “even more interesting idea” he can stuff it

1 Like

Depending on the workout … if its 9Hammers, AVDP and Im having a bad day ill push through the 3-4 min interval for as long as I can and then take extended recovering until next interval.

Shorter Intervals at MAP with intervals of 1-2 mins ill push through or if I cannot Ill give up on that workout as its clearly a very bad day and workouts like 14VG do not deliver targeted training benefit if reduced.

1 Like

When you’re out on the road do you stop or keep grinding out to the end? We always want Sufferlandrians to get to the end of a workout and sometimes you do hit the wall (and not always the Powerstation ones).

Reducing the workout by a few % will mean you can make it to the end without stopping and still claim your HONOUR, GLORY and VICTORY! @Joel_Weiss, switching to level mode is also a great option to keep doing what you can to finish the workout.

4 Likes

:heart: :heart:

4 Likes

I could not do todays workout, my first in the ftp block.(5* 6 mins)I completed the 1st effort and about 1 min into the 2nd.I dialled down 5% but still could not ride the 2nd effort. I went down to 85 % and still had to stop. my cadence dropped to 30 and then failed to register. I could have finished the session at some setting or another, but it would not have done what it says on the tin, a ride for a particular reason for a particular effect, and so I climbed off the bike with a lot left to do.

2 Likes

Though fatigue is a necessary part of training, it’s also a sign that you may need to take a few days easy soon. If you have one or two workouts left before a rest week you can see about pushing through using RPE. If you still have a full week of training left to go and just can’t bear it, then you will be better off taking a few days fully off, and then finish off the last bit of your block.

When athletes do get this fatigued, it’s worthwhile looking at why it’s happened. If family or life stress has been higher than normal, of nutrition and sleep quality have taken a dive, those can be culprits. Sometimes you can do something about those issues and other times you can’t. Just remember, all stress is stress—so be mentally prepared for your on-the-bike performance to take a bit of a hit if things in other areas of life get extra stressful.

3 Likes

I did FF on 31 May and had good gains on every part of the test except the 20 mins which had a huge drop. I did the half monty in June which gave my FTP as similar to my previous FF and so I adjusted that figure back up assuming the recent FF was just a bad ride. The tempo block finished with a recovery week and the FTP block started with a day off, and so I should have been fresh, Riding at 20 watts over my FF result after a month of typically riding 30 watts under, proved to be too big a jump in effort for a first ride. I have deleted the training plan, and adjusted my profile to reflect the true FF values

2 Likes